Monday, July 20, 2009

ITALIAN COOKING KICK! Pasta Carbonara ala' Tom Cruise

Ever since visiting Grenada, and staying at La Luna with an Italian chef, I have been on an Italian cooking kick! One day I asked if they could make a Spaghetti Carbonara (not on menu) for my lunch. Absolutely - no problem. Tasting the wonderful pasta dish made me realize how long it has been since I made it myself. Well, upon our return, I set out to find a true recipe for Carbonara. There are lots of pastas that say they are Carbonara, but a true Carbonara has no cream - yet many recipes call for cream. Here is one I found, and tried - delicious! I was a little heavy with the red pepper flakes - next time will follow the recipe. Enjoy!

Supposedly this recipe comes right from Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes...

Spaghetti Carbonara

Olive Oil (good first cold press extra virgin), 1/2 inch in large saute pan
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 chopped onion
8-12 slices pancetta, thick bacon (I used regular bacon)
4 eggs
1 16oz. pkg spaghetti (recipe calls for 2 pkgs of spaghetti - I used one)
2 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese or parmigiano-reggiano cheese
crushed red pepper flakes
salt & fresh ground pepper

1. Put 1/2inch olive oil in saute pan
2. Add 2 cloves (or more) chopped garlic, onion & bacon cut into small squares
3. Let simmer 30 minutes, don't let it boil
4. During last 10 minutes, add red pepper flakes (1 tsp., probably not much more)
5. In bowl, beat 4 eggs with lots of salt and fresh ground pepper.
6. Cook spaghetti until al dente
7. Drain and immediately add egg mixture to pasta. The pasta needs to be very hot in order for the eggs to cook!
8. Stir until eggs are cooked.
9. Mix into saute pan and finish with grated cheese.
10. ENJOY.

Source: Recipe Bazaar

No comments: