Sunday, February 1, 2009

Transitioning to new technology can be tough!


Well, one thing always leads to another right? This time around it is all related to efficiency. I went to a wonderful conference that taught us to work efficiently and with our secretary with the utmost of organization. Part of this plan involves calendaring, and how our secretary should be handling our calendar. So, being open and willing to get more organized, I thought I'd give it a try. I dug out the old Palm Pilot, got it all charged up and "synced". Strangely enough it did not want to sync with the Palm software, but it seemed to like ICal. OK, I can go with that - so I spent one night entering all the data I had in my Palm calendar over to ICal. Worked great! But, to make things more complicated we wanted to have my secretary have my calendar on her computer where I could sync my Palm with her ICal. Oops - little did I know there is a rule about multiple computers - a definite no-no. The district IT person said we need to use Google Calendar, then it will load to my ICal, then I can sync my Palm. Easy right? NOT... In order to get Google Calendar to talk to ICal, he had to take my computer away, update it, and he returned it at the end of the day. All my e-mails disappeared in the process - not good. I then re-entered everything from ICal into Google Calendar and tried to sync. Well, Google did move everything to ICal like it was supposed to, but now it has been determined that my Palm is ancient and to not even try it. IT's recommendation: Get an IPhone. So, that was yesterdays journey - the AT&T store.

I've spent the day (Sunday) getting things sync'd (now it works). Next step - take the IPhone to the Ford Edge and get the two to talk to each other so that I can use my handsfree phone. Don't ya love technology? It is absolutely a love/hate relationship!

P.S. My Ford Edge and iPhone can now talk. (I had heard there were issues getting the two to communicate. Luckily, I was not one with trouble...)

No comments: