Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Favorite Breakfast Muffins

Cottage Cheese & Egg Breakfast Muffins with Bacon & Green Onions
Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen  
(makes 9 muffins)

2/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup almond meal (I have only found Bob's Red Mill brand in health food sections - sometimes it takes some searching)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp water
4 eggs, beaten
4 strips bacon (cooked in microwave till crisp; blot with paper towel to get off as much grease as possible; crumble)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
Shredded Cheddar Cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In mixing bowl, mix cottage cheese, parmesan, flour, almond meal, salt, water, and beaten egg.  Mix well.  Mix in bacon and green onions.

Spray silicone muffin tin with nonstick spray.  This works really well - and you won't go back!  Fill cups about 3/4 full, top with a pinch of cheddar cheese.  Bake 25-30 minutes until muffins are firm and lightly browned.  

I made a batch of these on the weekend for a quick breakfast during the weekdays of work.  My routine is a to throw a muffin on a plate, stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and pour a V-8.  I eat this just before I walk out the door.  Great healthy South Beach breakfast!  Yum.  I need to make these up for the very busy week ahead.

No comments: